Friday, December 1, 2006

Blurry IE7 or Office 2007

If you've installed IE7, you may notice text appears fuzzy or blurry now. I'm only running IE7 on my laptop, so have been basically ignoring it becuase I usually use FireFox anyway. But I've just installed Office 2007 on my desktop, and it has the same problem. The answer lies in something Microsoft calls ClearType which is supposed to make text look better, more natural, and easier to read on LCD monitors. Of course, nearly everyone just complains that it's blurry or fuzzy. Turns out there is a calibration tool you can use to help. This did help on my laptop, but running a dual LCD setup on my desktop limits its help because each monitor is so different.

Credit where credit is due: while hunting around for this information (finding much of it on my own), I eventually fell across another blog that basically says all this and more, with examples.

No comments: