Tuesday, July 10, 2007

First MINI modification


In what may be a long series of upgrades for the MINI, I made my first modification. I replaced the standard antenna with a little stubby one. The stock on is about 18" long and skinny given the car that RC look. So I ordered a replacements that's just 4" tall. It tapers a bit as it goes up, but the bottom bit is the same size as the stock one.

I order from MiniCarParts.net where we've order a few other things (hat, clothes, etc.). The tiny envelope was delivered by DHL and I was caught off guard. I don't know why, but I expected something larger than an envelope you might get a CD shipped in. Timidly I opened it up to find the packing slip and the tiny little antenna. But no installation instructions, which worried me for a minute until I saw the threads at the bottom.

Installation was trivial. I just reached over and unscrewed the stock one, screwed this one on, then stuck in they key and turned on the radio. Reception was fine. And it looks cool.

A search after the fact reveals that this antenna will fit a lot of late model cars besides the MINI:
So why did they put that goofy looking thing on the MINI to start with? Surely the 350Z doesn't have an 18" remote control car looking thing on it! Even though I do see that the Scion tC comes with the same stock one as the MINI does.

No comments: