Monday, August 11, 2008

Firefox FTP

I love FireFox and despise it when I need to open anything up in IE. I'm also becoming more of a minimalist installing extra tools to do things other tools can (or should) be able to do.

Today I needed to upload some files to a new Sun box we have. I'm writing a demo for the Sun Grid engine, translating an older demo I did for Windows Compute Cluster Server to the distributed Java environment. So I needed to FTP from my work laptop. I don't have WS_FTP installed there because 99% of the time I'm just downloading from FTP and FireFox works fine. But it doesn't let you upload.

After 20 seconds of searching, I found the FireFTP add-on. It's an FTP client that sits inside FireFox. Clearly not as fully features as WS_FTP, but it got the job done. Kudos to the devs. Check it out.

No comments: