Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Reading

I was hoping to post more on the Upanishads series, but I've been woefully distracted lately. Unemployment leaves one with lots of time, but I haven't felt like sitting in front of the computer lately. However, I have been working my way through several books. I can't recommend these books highly enough! I was going to link each, but I'm sure anyone capable of finding and reading this blog can navigate amazon.com.

  • The Power of Now, A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle. Usually one of the first books people read when traveling down the spiritual path I've been discovering. As such, I haven't found it as ground-breaking as a new reader on the subject would, but ever chapter includes insightful commentary or new ways of looking at things. The Q/A format is a little distracting at times, but not a major hindrance.
  • The True Believer, Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements by Eric Hoffer. I have learned a lot and am only half way through. Truly, I learned a ton in the first chapter. Some pieces are a little dated (the original text was published in 1951, just after the "Hitler decade"), but when you're discussing historical context, that's not a bad thing. I do wish some of the movements in the last half century were included as examples, but it's not hard to draw the parallels. It provides some great techniques to view and understand current events, from the Tea Party to ISIL. 
  • Bhagavad Gita As It Is by His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. Following a very thorough introduction, this book presents the core of the ancient Indian Vedas verse by verse in the original Sanskirt, phonetically, word-by-word translation, English prose, and then a commentary on the meaning of the verse. Honestly, it's taxing to read both this and the Upanishads (which don't have the commentary) in the same day. While I do not currently identify as a Krishna Devotee, this volume is nonetheless well worth the time.
  • A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin. The third book in the Game of Thrones series. This series would be a very difficult read if it weren't for the HBO series to allow me to link back and recall the plethora of characters. It's quite good, but I've always read more non-fiction than fiction, so this has taken a back seat for now. It's my "light reading" book ;-)
I've got a few more texts I intend to read soon that I just haven't gotten to yet.
  • The Way of the Explorer by Dr. Edgar Mitchell. Dr. Mitchell was an astronaut on the Apollo 14 mission, and the sixth man to walk on the moon. During the mission he experienced savikalpa samadhi, and I want to know more of the details!
  • The New Testament by various authors. Tolle includes many biblical quotes and anecdotes in his book, and I'd like to take a fresh look for myself. 
  • Other books by Ram Dass and Richard Bach are on the list as well. TBD
Some day, maybe I'll read one book at a time, but I like the changing of gears throughout the day!

No comments: