Sunday, June 22, 2014

One Love Kirtan

One Love performed today at UUCY. It was absolutely perfect weather, and the concert was held outside on our labyrinth. After watching the sunrise over the Atlantic Ocean from Rehoboth Beach on the Solstice yesterday, my heart has been very full. Wonderful things happen when you're traveling through life full of happiness and love, and then have yet another uplifting experience. It's almost like there's nowhere "up" left to go. So you start to go beyond. Words can't do it justice. tat tvam asi

All of the chanting was absolutely wonderful. One in particular really spoke to me, however. The words are simple:

Where do you seek me? Here I am
Here I am, Here I am

It's a very moving melody. Unfortunately, it's not on their CD (which I of course purchased immediately after the show). I finally found a version later that captures it pretty well on this page (which is full of so much great, great stuff): http://wahiduddin.net/music/ (see #27 - Moko, where the first half is Hindi, but the second English).

It's a great, moving chant in and of itself. However, one of the guys in One Love pointed something out that sticks with me every time I hear it: You can view the lyrics as a person speaking to a deity, or as a deity speaking to a person. I strongly encourage you to grab the mp3 file and think about this. Listen as if you are looking up at the sky, asking the question. Then reverse it -- be the sky, looking down at your earthly body, and ask the question again. 

During the concert I was completely able to lose myself in random visuals of the weekend, in the fullness of my heart, in everything. Afterwards, I snapped back into myself and along with it came the realization of the dozens of folks around, sitting at a concert. But for a moment there, nothing else mattered. I wanted to write "I was just being" here to conclude, but that's not right. For that moment, there was no "I".


No comments: