Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Slow Lane

I used to drive in the fast lane all the time.

I enjoy driving, but it was just an intermediate step in a rush to the next event. It was like I thought that next thing is where I could find happiness, so I had to rush to get there. Then one day I'm driving down I-83 in the slow lane. I'm just being. Driving and listening to Krishna Das chants. I had a destination and a time frame, but it didn't matter. I was just being happy. Then I took notice of the cars flying by me on the left. I looked at the drivers. They were all sternly focused on pushing ahead. Some where on the phone, others were literally grimacing as the car in front of them wasn't going fast enough.

My epiphany came then.

Stop rushing from one thing to another to find happiness. Be here now. Like anyone else, I certainly enjoy being with others and being at different destinations. But if you're just pushing for the sake of pushing, whatever you're looking for won't be there either. You need to carry it with you, wherever you go. Life isn't the destination, it's the journey.

"We are all just walking each other home." -- Ram Dass

No comments: