Friday, October 27, 2006

Flying (or not)

A couple quick stories:

* A friend was flying to Houston too, but didn't have an indirect flight, stopping through Cincinnati. Basically on their approach there the pilot announced "we're going to fly around in circles for a while until the flaps start working." And that's what they did, and luckily the flaps did work. But they didn't land until all the runways and everything was cleared out of their way. He missed his connection, but only by a couple minutes -- they knew he was coming, knew the status of his flight, and left anyway instead of waiting 5 minutes. Scary. I've had my share of mechanical issues (starters, radios, etc.) but always on the ground (knocking on wood!).

* The TSA now allows creams and such through security, but only in see-through baggies and less than 3 onces. I knew better, but went through with a 3.5oz aerosol anyway. But I didn't count on the attitude from the prick working there at Houston, Concourse E security, about 6:15 pm CDT on 10/26/2006. I of course didn't say anything then. Retorting to a TSA person nowadays is tantamount to making fun of a cripple in a wheel chair trying to get up a curb. What annoyed me wasn't so much that I wasn't allowed to keep the item, but the way the guy approached me. I had my clear bag in the bin with my laptop, all flattened out and not trying to hide anything. He saw the spray and obviously knew how big it was, and that 3.5 is larger than 3. But it's the way he acted that annoys me so much. It was all smug with a "hold on a second, let me check this one" and then pulling out and reading it like he had never seen it before, though a very bad acting job. And then telling me that it's too big and I can't take it through. What a prick. I know it's too big, but he knew it too. Don't act all surprised and condescending like he just discovered something we both didn't already know. The better action, and maybe if TSA spent 10 minutes training their people how to deal with the public (which they do 100% of their day), they would know this, would be to say directly: "I noticed that can there, and it's 3.5 oz. You have the option to check your bags, of course, or I can throw it away here, but you're not allowed to bring that through". Don't be a prick about it next time. I wish I had gotten his name. And if you don't think the next time I'm carrying on bags I'm not going to have the same 3.5 oz canister with me, you don't know me very well Image

No comments: