Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Vista SP1

Seems that Microsoft is starting to understand their customers. We have learned from Windows XP and even Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003 that it's generally best to hold off on upgrading to a new Windows operating system until the kinks have been worked out. This mark is generally the first Service Pack release. Of course, Microsoft wants to drive adoption of its new OS. But except for brand new Dell-type systems and ye scurvy pirates with 10 home computers, upgrading your OS is a very conscious choice that must be carefully considered. The result is that Vista was just released for public sale a couple weeks ago and Microsoft is already talking about SP1. There were mentions of this dating quite a while back, but more recent news from eWeek (Spencer Katt's Rumor Central column) and other places like TrustedReviews and apc indicate we're looking at a December release. This might line up with the server version of Vista (Longhorn) too.

I personally don't know when I'll upgrade. My main desktop will stay XP (dual boot Windows Server 2003 64-bit) until it needs to be replaced. I'm getting a new laptop for work, and I'm not sure what that will have but I expect XP -- we're looking to get a Vista machine in-house for testing at work, but it might be a while before we see new laptops coming through with it. Then again, I don't know if I want to wait until December to replace my desktop and move to Vista SP1 either. The main problem for me will be drivers for my Canon MP730. There were no XP64 drivers for it, otherwise I'd be running that full time. When I tested that out, Canon denied there were problems, but XP64 won't let you install 32-bit drivers, so no go for me. But this thread links to Vista drivers; I'll need to test that somehow before fully committing.

No comments: