Tuesday, February 6, 2007

XBox Flash update

I usually edit my blogs to add updates, but that one was already too long.

To start, my blog on flashing should point out that I have the Toshiba-Samsung TS-H943 (25s) DVD drive inside -- this is the original and easiest to flash. The 28s requires some extra steps, and the Hitachi-LG drives also need some extra work. Being an early XBox adopter helps in this case, so if you have questions for this easy case, feel free to ask me -- but if you have those other drives, be sure to read the guides carefully because some are drive-specific.

On this note, a recent Microsoft announcement indicates they're replacing all the existing models with a new BenQ VAD6038 model. The topic of the announcement concerns the loudness of the original drives. This is of course bypassed with the updated low-speed firmware . But of course this new drive is supposed to be quiet and fast. If you get one of these new ones, you'll need to keep an eye out on the modding scene to determine if 1) these are flashable and 2) to get updated guides and firmware. But for me, I'm still a happy camper with my slower drive that will read DVD+R discs.

And finally, there's a lot of hub-bub around concerning brands of media for XBox 360 backups. Almost everyone swears by the Verbatim DVD+R DL 8x burned at 2.4x. No doubt this is excellent media, but it can be hard to find and kind of pricey unless you buy a spindle. Taking this to heart, but having no local stores that carry it, I opted instead for Memorex DVD+R DL 2.4x burned at 2.4x. A 3-pack cost me $15 at the local Staples. I'm happy to report this media works just fine. I figure any high-quality name-brand DVD+R DL will be OK. Be sure to burn with CloneCD too.

No comments: