Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Camping

I spent last weekend camping with a few hundred friends. Well, a dozen or so close friends. This event evolved from a summer house party years ago to a ticketed, organized party weekend, managed largely via a Facebook group and event. While everyone in the group has at least something in common, when you get 200 people together, there's going to be cliques and smaller groups - a social necessity.

Here are some various takeaways for me:

* I'm quickly getting too old to sleep on the ground. Even on an air mattress.

* It pays to go with a seasoned camper. I have tented many times, but not frequently, at least since college days. My tent-mate brought a mat for the front door - seems cheesy, but this kept grass from getting in the tent. It's little things like that I never think of and appreciate those who do.

* Everyone's experience is what they make of it. For me, this was a pretty relaxed weekend - time to cut loose, but not lose yourself. I've spent too much time and effort finding myself to lose myself! But for others, it's different. They may look at my weekend and think it was a huge waste - that I should have been partying it up more out in the main field. I'm sure those folks had fun doing their thing out there, but I was having my own fun doing my thing. Isn't that what it's all about?

* I met a very "not nice" man this weekend. I learned of his history - an obsessive relationship that landed him in jail - early on, and simply chose to avoid him even though their tent was relatively close. As Sunday evening wore on, those of us staying through Monday morning (a much smaller crowd) moved our cars closer to the tents for easy packing and escape in the morning. Most folks pulled cars unobtrusively as possible - but this guy jammed his truck right in the middle of a main path. I had to rearrange our chairs and coolers because it was so close. He came over and seemed to apologize for parking there and to offer to move - which is nice, but even though I didn't appreciate the location of his truck, I wouldn't make anyone move. But right after his first sentence, he went off about hearing that I wanted to fight over it because some other guy hanging with them (who I know, but don't care for, so avoid him as well) said I'd be upset. This took me aback. Neither one of those guys really knows me. At all. Even jovially, why approach a stranger confrontationally? I was confused, but told him the car was fine, and ignored whatever else he was saying. Not sure what the takeaway here really is. I've grown very open hearted and open minded. But there are people who are in such a bad place, it's plain not worth spending time with them.

* BDSM is not my thing. Some people in the group are very much into this, and took advantage of an isolated camping party to let loose. Some very good friends are into this scene, and it's a core part of their life and relationship. It's great they find joy and fulfillment in these activities, but it's not for me.


* Nature is cool. I could stare at the patterns in an uprooted tree for hours. What do you see?

* There were a few different people I could have camped with for the weekend. I went with a very close friend who is traveling a similar spiritual path. We certainly weren't connected at the hip the whole weekend, but having that kind of home base with you is a great thing. If I had made other options, the weekend would have been an entirely different experience. If I went with a more social person, we would surely have been in the main circles more often and seen a much different perspective. If I had gone with someone not in the group already, I would have been more social to make more introductions. It was a wonderful weekend, but I can't say I'm not curious about alternate possible paths.

* Zorb balls are fun - if you get the chance, do it. Although preferably as a human, not as a hamster whose owner stuffs you in one for their entertainment.

* Some people try too hard. I'm not a psychologist by any means, so there may be a term for this I don't know. But I see people like this all the time and ran across a few this weekend. They dress and act in ways that are meant to draw attention to themselves. But not just an attention-whore kind of way, more like in a manner that's less "look at me" and more "like me because I'm cool" kind of thing. Words are failing me here. It's like they need everyone to like them so they put on a different face - one that they think you want to see. Fake. Pretend. I can only imagine what it's like to be alone in their head. I'm not saying I'm above this - I clearly recall in my younger days putting on a facade to help protect my ego from uncomfortable situations. Recognizing this was, in fact, one of my first steps to finding myself again. I wish I could sit down with folks like this and tell them... I'm not sure. That everyone knows what they're doing and they just need to stop, find themselves, and just be themselves. Here and Now. To be so full of desire for attention and friendship can't be a healthy thing. Plus, when you're not being yourself, and you make a new friend, then you're stuck being who they thought you were, right? It's too much. Drop the ego and the insatiable need to be everyone's friend.

In sum, I had a great time. I met some new people, got to know some acquaintances better, and solidified bonds with existing friends. Even though it's early August, I feel like my summer is just kicking off - two beach trips the next couple weekends, and I finally have a base tan!

No comments: