Wednesday, August 6, 2014

On Buying a Jeep

[Warning:  long, rambling post below]



I started the investigation into buying a Jeep Wrangler because I was going to run over miles on my current GTI's lease. This was 9 months away, but given the summer driving season and upcoming beach trips, I may be over quite a lot. Plus, I have always kind of wanted a Jeep, and now that I've been embracing my inner hippie even more, it was time to at least start the conversation.

Doing some math around payments and pay-off value/remnant value of the GTI, I figured I'd be looking at a used vehicle in the mid-$20k range. During the sales cycle, I often sat waiting at the salesman's desk alone. I constantly attempted to focus on my breathing and being there in the office, not worried or concerned about what news or information he would return with. After crunching some numbers, he retrieved a brand new (although essentially stripped) Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited (why so many adjectives?). The sticker price was over $30k, but I figured I'd go along with him. So we did the test drive and played with the soft top. It was an OK Jeep, but the lack of power locks would be annoying for kids. However, it did have a very nice stereo and navigation unit. It was nice, but I wasn't blown away with a "this is the car" feeling. As the test drive wrapped up and we went back in, I turned the conversation to the details of the financials. Sure enough, as I computed, it was well over where I wanted to be for a monthly payment. Way over. I kindly told him that we're not really in the same ballpark. After wandering away again, he came back and pulled me back outside where he had a two-door, hard-top Jeep with an off-road package. Cool looking, but I didn't want a hard top. And I didn't need the off-road stuff. I calmly explained that this wasn't going to work for me either. He was intent on selling me something, but I knew I had time and was not going to be overcome with desire to buy something I didn't want to afford. So we were pretty much done, especially when he started bringing up other non-Jeep options. If I couldn't get a Jeep Wrangler right now, then I wouldn't. Simple. As he returned the two-door to its parking spot, another sales guy that was hanging around outside noted that I wanted a soft-top. He mentioned there was a blue one "out back" that my sales guy may not know about. Then he rushed off to greet some customers that had just pulled up and were looking at trucks.

Right then, I felt the universe kind of tugging at me. Without even seeing the Jeep or knowing the price, I had that conspiring feeling deep inside and could see myself in this blue one. That "this is the car" feeling. Think of all the events that conspired together: I had earlier built a rapport with this guy discussing the GTI, so was comfortable standing talking to him instead of going inside to wait for my sales guy; the customers that arrived to look at trucks could have come two minutes earlier, drawn him away from his perch so he wouldn't have witnessed the hard-top discussion; my sales guy could have balked on even pulling up the hard-top one because soft-top was one of my requirements. A ton of other little things dropped us to a place where he told me about a vehicle my guy didn't know about. Funny thing is, when I stopped by to chat on Saturday with the resident "Jeep guy", he probably would have known about the other one - and he was supposed to be there Monday, but that was his short day.

Back to the main thread - my guy was surprised there was another one out there, so we trekked back to find it. It was a used 2010 model, and the sticker in the window still looked high to me, so I was wary, but the feeling of the moment hadn't died away. We pulled it out for a test drive. It had power windows and locks, fog lights, soft-top, and a catchy blue color (I researched later and found this is "Deep Water Blue" and only available 2009-2010). Further, the price tag included an off-road package that they had yet to install - so it was actually less expensive. We crunched some numbers and sure enough, it fell right into my range. Before deciding, I went back out to ponder things and look at the Jeep again. I called a close friend to make sure I wasn't being insane. While there, I noticed it needed tires. It had passed inspection, but it would need tires soon (which aren't cheep). In goes my guy again to discuss and offered me a $500 credit towards tires, or they could put on new ones and factor them into the cost. I opted for the credit. But before long, he returned with news from the service shop that they had just done an off-road upgrade and had 5 "extra" wheels available they'd put on for free (so it came with very cool looking 2014 18" Sahara model wheels).

The finance guy came by a little later. I felt a lot of negativity around him and could sense things falling apart. His attitude seemed matter-of-fact, but his presence was just very negative. I sat and listened to him openly. His monthly numbers were higher - which could have crushed things. He also gave me a hard time about an expired insurance card. I patiently explained that all the info was correct, and I was currently insured. Making a strong point about this and referencing the PA DOT was bordering on argumentative. Again, I just sat and listened, explaining I'm sure I had a more current card, and that this shouldn't be a hurdle. It was a silly negative point he felt strongly to make. He should have just asked "do you have a current card" but instead started with "your card is expired and we can't use it". Remember this when you speak to people - it makes a difference! We resolved the pricing difference and insurance card, so I signed something called a "buy order" I think, and gathered my stuff with plans to return in two days to take delivery.

Over night and I great difficultly staying detached and without desire. I could picture all the potential fun. I could feel the potential issues with the GTI mileage against the lease going away. In some ways, it was already a done deal, so it could have just been excitement. But it felt like desire. And desire is risky - because it opens you up to pain when things don't go your way.

The next morning, the original "Jeep guy" called. They had made a mistake in the numbers. They assumed a tax credit for my trade-in, but because it was leased and not owned, the numbers weren't quite right. It affected things, but not greatly. I quickly computed if I put a bit more down in cash, I could still be OK. But I hesitated some on the phone. He then jumped in with an offer -- since this was a "$15/month" mistake, and their mistake, how about we split it? I said that was generous and accepted. As an aside he mentioned he was doing the tires now, and that he's bumping it up to put on nicer 18" Sahara wheels for me. I believe this is a pricey option, which I'll happily take. Further, instead of waiting until the next morning, I could take delivery later today.

In the end, it's not the best economic decision, but one I could afford. I'll have the Jeep in hand for camping the coming weekend, and two upcoming trips to the beach. I will miss some nice things about the GTI, but that car was so tied to a previous version of myself, it will be good to be free of it.

No comments: